Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Product Review: Abeego Wraps

I was researching ways to sew my own reusable sandwich wraps about six months ago. The problem was, all the patterns or ideas I stumbled across required using a layer of plastic. I thought this was strange since I was trying to get away from using plastic wrap (mainly because it is a disposable product, but also because it's plastic!).

Finally, I got so frustrated in my search that I went to my favourite local shop: The Good Planet Company. The name says it all - they carry great products that are functional and good for the planet. To go one step further, they also carry locally hand-crafted products. That's how I found Abeego.

Abeego is a company local to Victoria, B.C. They create reusable Wraps (sandwich size, although can be used for anything), Snack size wraps and Flats. These products completely replace plastic wrap and plastic zippered bags. They are made of a hemp/cotton fabric and they use beeswax and plant extracts to make the fabric foldable (is that a word?) and washable.

They are fantastic! I was ecstatic. I immediately purchased two of the Wraps and put them into use. I have found that they work perfectly and can be easily shaped to fit whatever you need to put in them. I was worried about their longevity and how clean they would actually get being hand washed in cold water, but I haven't had any issues. Months later they are holding up perfectly to nearly daily use. The cold water wash has even conquered mustard stains! The only downside is how cold your fingers get while washing them. But it's a small price to pay for such a great product!

Three cheers for Abeego!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With cool/cold water washing, we are being green AGAIN! Just a thought. On the serious side, I am thinking about ordering some... but I am still researching. Any comments about the product as of late?

Jennie said...

They are still holding up great - and nearly 2 years later!

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to review. it helps to know that you are still happy 2 years later